– 1 pound ground pork (ground chicken or turkey would work too)
– 1 apple, cored peeled and shredded (or pear)
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
– 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
– 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or fresh ground black pepper – I was out)
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but brings out the apple)
– 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free Dijon Mustard
– 2 green onions, diced
– 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
– In a large bowl, mix all of the above ingredients together making sure to fully combine. Use your hands- it works great and is better for the meat. Let everything sit together for at least 30 minutes. If you can swing it, letting them sit overnight will make them mighty tasty too.
– Then form into 6 equal portioned burger patties.
– Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
– Once hot, place burgers on grill pan and allow them to cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes. Be careful here because if you flip them too soon there is a chance they will fall apart.
– Once cooked on one side flip and cook on other side until completely cooked and no longer pink in the middle.
– Serve immediately. If you have leftover, store in refrigerator and reheat in a skillet on both sides for a few minutes just to heat.